Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Last thing you want to see in the woods in Canada

Ms Charlotte and JoJo and I arrived in Banff, Alberta a couple of days ago. To my Colorado friends, Banff is like Vail 25 years ago. Lots of money, pretty people, and hippies. Awesome place. We fit into the latter of the three by the way in case you were wondering.

Our first full day was spent hanging around downtown and people watching. The best of the best in show was a 60 something lady in full Cowgirl regalia including Chaps. She was also wearing see through white pants sans undies. She might have been "working" but we were not sure. Charlotte said she had a really nice Hat, but I didn't notice.

We found our new favorite hangout as well. A coffee shop called "The Second Cup" with great coffees and views for people watching without being 'Arkansas Obvious'. You know what I mean too if your from Arkansas.

We finally headed back to camp as we call it and made home made pizza and drank a little red wine from a box. Those of you that know Charlotte must be amazed that she would allow box wine to touch her lips. We have actually found some that meets her very lowest standards for drinkability.

It is amazing how light it is until WAY past my bedtime. The other night I woke up and looked outside and I could have identified a friend walking by across the street at 11:15 PM.  So star gazing has not been on our list of "things to do" lately.

Today we decided to get our lazy butts in gear and go for a hike along Lake Miniwanka (I am not making this up) and have a picnic. We found the trailhead and started our gradual climb up to a viewpoint of a glacier or something else. About 20 minutes into the hike we came upon a group of people standing int the trail pointing with looks of terror on their faces. Yep, you guessed it, a Grizzly Bear. I thought this bear was beautiful but  Charlotte had other thoughts.

I took a few steps ahead of the group and started talking to it while Charlotte took several steps back and got behind a guy from Japan with his pepper spray cocked and ready to shoot. I was told that chatting with them in a calm, strong, loud voice is the best way to deal with a bear in the woods. Let it know that it needs to move along and that we both can share the outdoors. This bear was not responding according to the bear management manual at all

When I started talking she looked at me and then snorted and looked back and whistled. I knew exactly at that moment this bear was not alone. A cute little Grizzly Bear Cub came down from the tree and ran up on the trail. It was at this moment I realized I was talking to the second most feared wild animal in the world, a momma Grizzly with her very young cub that could not have weighed more than a hundred pounds. Mamma was not a huge bear but was most likely in the 500 pound range. Did I mention that they were both less than 30 yards away.

It was time for me to employ the second response to a bear if response number one does not work. Start walking away slowly. Then at some point make sure you can outrun somebody else in the group. I knew I could not outrun Charlotte, but I would bet money on the old Japanese dude. We made our way back to the truck so I could change my shorts. I just made up the last part. But it was amazing to see the sight of a truly wild animal and her young trying to use the same footbridge with hundreds of other people today.

When we got back closer to the truck we found a yearling Big Horn Sheep on the road between a bunch of cars going by. He was scared &$^less. He finally got in line and ran across the one lane bridge with some cars in front and back of him. It was quite the sight.

Charlotte has become quite the resident rodent whisperer. She charmed a Canadian Ground Squirrel  as well as a very large Chipmunk up to eat out of her hand. This is a capital offense in Canada, so PLEASE do not call the Royal Canadian Mounties and turn her in.

We are finally getting back to fishing tomorrow. If the weather holds we are planning a two hour hike into a high mountain lake to fish for native Cutthroat Trout and some Bull Trout as well. Can't wait. We are stopping in to get some pepper spray in case you were wondering. I also have my sawed off 12 gauge shotgun that I carried when fishing in Alaska few years ago. It may join us for the hike. 

We are not sure where our next destination will be. Alaska has been in the running but I think we are getting too late a start before the snow flies up there. So heading south to tour more of the Canadian National Parks or driving more west to Vancouver is popping up. We will be hanging here for at least another 5 days.

Thanks for following our adventure. We recommend it to everyone. It's amazing to get up and not know where you are going that day. Very strange in many ways.

Life lesson from the road today. Don't always rely on the text books when it comes to dealing with wild animals! They are WILD animals.

Andiamo!

The road gang.

PS - In case you want to see pictures of these grand creatures, you will have to wait until next bear sighting because our little hiking camera has decided to operate randomly. Today was a "not working" day. It was working just fine before dropping it in the Yellowstone River last week.  Darn.








No comments:

Post a Comment