Saturday, June 22, 2013

Just the two of us ..... we can make it if we try ..... just the two of us

Finally after many months of planning and trial and errors, and more errors than trials, Ms Charlotte and I have headed North from Denver to Central Wyoming to fish.

When we started planning this grand adventure during last winter, fishing, birding, family, and friends were all on the radar.

We have seen all of our families recently and I have learned more about birds in the past couple of months than I ever dreamed I would and now ..... finally we are fishing.

We are now alone on our adventure of getting to know one another better and falling deeper in love every day. She is amazaballs!! (her word, not mine)

We pulled into my favorite fishing spot in North America yesterday about 5. It's called Grey Reef for some unknown reason that nobody around here can explain. I can tell you it ain't grey.  The Oregon Trail runs right through our camping area. How cool is that??

We had plenty of daylight to set up camp, make more mistakes, and then head down to the South Platte River in Central Wyoming to settle in for some serious fishing.

The three Reservoirs that make up this fishery were built in the early 1900's to provide water and power to farmers all along this stretch of river. Inadvertently, they created some of the best trout fishing streams in the world right here smack dab in the middle of Wyoming. Who'd a thunk it.

In the fall, huge brown trout come up out of the cold deep waters of the three lakes into the river to spawn. Rainbow trout do the same thing in the springtime. We missed the spawn, but there are plenty of healthy fish to tempt us at this time of year.

We hooked 9 fish last night and did not put one in the net. That was both exhilarating and frustrating to a guy that loves to net fish.

The this morning we hit paydirt. Charlotte, hooked, fought, and landed at 20" Rainbow on her very first cast. I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. By the look on her face, I think I got me a fishin' woman!!! She was thrilled to land such a quality fish. She fought it about 10 minutes and landed it after it made 6 long runs. She looked like a pro.

As you can see by the picture below, she does need a little coaching on how to hold a nice fish for a picture. Trust me when I tell you it was a solid 20" fish with at least a 12" girth. In the neighborhood of 4 lbs.

We are resting this afternoon as the Wyoming sun is brutal today, the longest day of the year. Happy summer solstice to all!!

We will be here for another couple of days then head northwest to fish the Big Horn River near Thermopolis, Wyoming. More fishing stories to follow.

Andiamo!!
From Charlotte, me and JoJo the Magnificent

1 comment: